From a formulation perspective, sealants and adhesives are very similar to coatings, formulated below the Critical Pigment Volume Concentration (CPVC), meaning that there is an excess of binder.
Mineral fillers can play various roles:
- Chemical resistance: being inert, mineral fillers can support the performance of the sealant/adhesive against all kinds of influences.
- Flame retardancy: by means of releasing water vapor at 180°C.
- Microwave induced heating: allowing rapid and/or local heating and curing of the adhesive/sealant.
- Rheology control: the flow properties can be influence either by mineral fillers with high oil absorption and/or by mineral fillers with an acicular or lamellar shape.
- TiO2 extension: by optimising the usage and amount of TiO2 using ultrafine lamellar mineral fillers, an additional cost reduction can be achieved.