General industrial, marine and protective applications are wide-ranging. However, the optical element is less relevant for all of them.
Typically, the most important features are:
- Abrasion resistance, covered mainly by hard mineral fillers.
- Barrier properties, provided by lamellar mineral fillers such as MIO or talc.
- Chemical resistance versus all kinds of influences.
- Corrosion protection, not simply by creating a physical barrier, but by interaction with typical corrosion inhibitors such as zinc phosphates.
- Flame retardancy – not in the area of intumescent coatings, but by means of releasing water vapor at 180°C.
- Mechanical reinforcement, obtained by using either lamellar or acicular fillers.
- Skid resistance, for safety and visibility reasons.
- UV resistance, to ensure long lifetime of the coatings.