ATH (aluminium tri hydrate, chemical formula Al(OH)3) is a side stream of the aluminium production, characterised by:
- High purity
- High whiteness
- Relatively low density of 2.4g/cm3 compared to other mineral fillers, which are typically at 2.7g/cm3
- Medium Mohs hardness of 3
- Decomposition around 180°C, releasing water.
[g/ 100 g]
Production locations Portaflame SG, Portafill A
ATH will provide:
- Chemical resistance: due to its inert nature, ATH will provide good chemical resistance compared to conventional fillers.
- Gloss control: with the availability of ultrafine ground ATH (Portafill A7) and a product with an optimised particle size distribution (Portafill A25/10), it is possible to apply coatings with a broad range of gloss levels.
- Increasing extruder output: the optimised particle size distribution of Portafill A25/10 provides better free-flowing properties. As a result, the material is easier to dose into the extruder, so the residence time inside the extruder can be optimised.
- UV resistance: being insensitive to UV radiation, ATH will reduce the coating’s degradation.
- Water spotting resistance: powder coatings formulated with ATH show less tendency for water spotting then similar coatings formulated with barium sulphate.