Quartz (silica, SiO2) is the core mineral within the Sibelco group and can be found in a broad number of applications, such as glass, ceramics and coatings. Quartz can be characterised by:
- Relatively high Mohs hardness of 7
- Low electrical conductivity
- Easy to wet
- High inertness in various media
- Shape (depending on the source, quartz particles can have an angular or more rounded shape).
Note when using quartz:
depending on the particle size distribution of the product, it can be labelled (STOT RE 2 or STOT RE 1). For more detailed information, visit www.safesilica.eu.
|Colour (D65/ 10°) L*||93 – 96||[-]|
|[µm]||[µm]||[µm]||[g/ 100 g]|
Production locations Silica Sand
Quartz will provide:
- UV resistance: being insensitive to UV radiation, quartz will reduce the coating’s degradation.
- IR reflection: quartz contributes to IR reflection of roof coatings.