ATH (aluminium tri hydrate, chemical formula Al(OH)3) is a side stream of aluminium production, characterised by:
- High purity
- High whiteness
- Relatively low density of 2.4g/cm3 compared to other mineral fillers, which are typically at 2.7g/cm3
- Medium Mohs hardness of 3
- Decomposition around 180°C, releasing water.
[g/ 100 g]
Production locations Portaflame SG, Portafill A
ATH will provide:
- Chemical resistance: due to its inert nature, ATH provides good chemical resistance compared to conventional fillers.
- Gloss control: with the availability of ultrafine ground ATH (Portafill A7) and a product with an optimised particle size distribution (Portafill A25/10), it is possible to apply coatings with a broad range of gloss levels.
- Stain blocking and stain resistance: ATH acts as a supporting mineral filler in stain blocking and stain resistant coatings.
- UV-curing compatibility: being transparent for UV radiation, ATH does not block the curing mechanism.